After
It was always there in the back of my mind. The thought of what we might do after Tanzania, but as the thought would come I would push it to the back of my mind and try to focus on the present. Then the time came closer and we began to actually dream about what the after might be like. Now, 11 days into it we’re still dreaming and trying to figure out how to make those dreams come true.
The thing I never realized, never thought about, is that the after is inevitably shaped by the before and the before just now finished. Our season in Tanzania just barely over and I struggle with the after because I’m still processing the before...
Yesterday, I dug through the pots and pans we brought back with us to find one for cooking and I spotted the one Elizabeth always made rice in. The bottom of the pan still has the tell tale marks because her rice was the last thing cooked in it. The faint outlines where little rice grains sat a little too long on the heat. It will come off after it’s washed a time or two. It will be a memory, but right now the before is still so fresh.
1 comment:
This is beautiful and so true--"the after is inevitably shaped by the before." I am sure I'll be thinking about this for the rest of the day--thanks!
Post a Comment