25 March, 2013

5 Thoughts on Adapting to Another Culture: Part 3

I’d like to close out my culture rambling with some thought for those who are living in their home country but come in contact with those from other cultures who now live there (so basically everyone in America). This is based on my own personal experience so it may not all hold true for every person, but I think there are some good points in here. 

First, embracing a new culture when you will be living there for an extended period of time can be hard. Before moving to Tanzania I had visited several countries and found that in the short time I was there I embraced the culture and “loved” it in a sense. I was surprised when I moved to Tanzania at how much I resisted that same sort of embracing. It could partly be that the cultural differences were greater than I had experienced elsewhere, but I think it was also because I knew I would be here for a while. I can only imagine what it would be like to move to a new country with the knowledge that you may never return home.

Second, it may seem at times that someone isn’t making any effort to adapt to the new culture they are living in, but they are adapting far more than you know. Some of the smallest things can be cultural stressors. I think Tanzanians would be shocked if I told them about my difficulty with visitors and how crazy the word "hodi" makes me feel at times. I’m not sure what to compare that to in American culture.

Third, just because a person has moved to a new country doesn’t mean that they should abandon their own culture. No one should be expected to give up their identity simply because they live in another country, no matter what their reason for moving or how long they will be there.

Fourth, do what you can to understand and acknowledge their culture. I was very encouraged in Geita when people were affirming of my attempts to learn Swahili or wear Tanzanian fabrics. It was just nice to know that they noticed what must have seemed like very small efforts to adapt to Tanzanian culture.

Fifth, grace. It is always a good idea to extend grace to people, but especially when they are adapting to a new culture. You can’t fully understand what they are experiencing or what might have been rough for them that day, so it is always a good idea to give them grace. It’s also easy to misinterpret even the simplest things from someone of a different culture than your own. Most people (from any culture) aren’t outright rude or mean, but their culture could be interpreted that way if looking through a different lens. 



Our first flight leaves in about 5 hours. We appreciate your prayers over our travels and ask that you particularly pray for good health for the four of us over the next 48 hours.

No comments: